frig vs freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammertoed

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a purchase, cant decide if a frig or up right freezer would be best. Already have Johnson controller. What are the pros and cons of each.

Both work. Go with the best price & what fits your size best.

Fridge is designed to deal with condensation; with a freezer you'll need some damp-rid to keep it dry. Freezer tends to be more open (no trays, drawers, etc)

I can't speak for the upright freezer, but I like having a split fridge on bottom/freezer on top. The top I keep full of hops. I have room for four kegs in the bottom, plus I use the shelves I didn't remove to hold washed yeast.

Chest freezers are typically WAYYYYY more insulated than your typical fridge, which equals a good savings in energy efficiency. A typical chest freezer cost about $20-25 a year in electricity to operate, a comparable sized fridge cost about $35-40.

I can't speak for the upright freezer, but I like having a split fridge on bottom/freezer on top. The top I keep full of hops. I have room for four kegs in the bottom, plus I use the shelves I didn't remove to hold washed yeast.

Just got this exact same setup and really like it. Being able to have perishable ingredients in one location and having a keg setup is outstanding.

With that being said, it depends on what you are aiming for. Are you using this to keg? To control fermentation temps? To do both? To use in conjunction with storing supplies like hops and yeast?

Through experience, if you are looking to use it for fermentation temp control, go with a freezer. I've got a chest freezer that fits 2 6 gallon carboys and it's a lot easier to go from fermenation to cold crash temps then the previous fridge I was using ever was. The fridge would struggle to drop down to desired crash cooling temps.

Whatever you can find for free, just add $50-75 if you go the freezer route for a controller. Or be prepared to mickey mouse the thermostat. If budget wasn't an issue I'd go chest freezer with a controller and collar.

I use a mini fridge because I had two from my wife and I's college years. My only complaint is it won't get warm enough to ferment ales, although I can lager in it.

Back