Friend or foe? Bug ID assistance needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote "Terminate with extreme prejudice".

Looks like a leaf eater to me...

Cheers!

[edit] fwiw, I usually chuck something like that as far as it'll fly rather than actually execute the li'l bastids.
Hoping I'm not totally screwing my karma that way ;)

I vote "Terminate with extreme prejudice".

Looks like a leaf eater to me...

Cheers!

[edit] fwiw, I usually chuck something like that as far as it'll fly rather than actually execute the li'l bastids.
Hoping I'm not totally screwing my karma that way ;)

I'll probably give him the ol' flick treatment. Unless he's a ladybug larvae. Then he can stay.

I've never met a caterpillar who didn't love to munch my produce. Toss him in your least favorite neighbor's yard.

Thats the larvae of the Eastern Comma Butterfly and he will eat the **** out of your leaves. It needs to be terminated ASAP!!! Chances are good you have eggs under leaves. They look like little green pearls in clusters. Google images will help and they need to go!!!!

Last edited:
Update: found about 2 dozen of black and white caterpillars underneath leaves. I went on a bug squashing mission last night. They ate several leaves to the stem. Needless to say, I was annoyed.

Anything good to spray for little buggers of this type? Or is manual removal the only way to go?
Manual seems tedious, and what do you do when they are 15 feet in the air!?

Anything good to spray for little buggers of this type? Or is manual removal the only way to go?
Manual seems tedious, and what do you do when they are 15 feet in the air!?

I went manual. It took a long time. It was a PITA. Maybe neem oil or something like it to stink them out. BB gun perhaps? Maybe if your aim is true...

I've heard a high powered dust buster (maybe one of those spider suckers in skymall) works pretty well too.

Lacewings or ladybugs will eat the eggs, if you want to set a defense for the "next wave."

Back