Fridge turned kegerator foaming excessively

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
So I have a refridgerator that I turned into a 2 tap kegerator. I have had 2 other double batches of beer in it and they poured nicely. This time around, I have a Pliny the Elder clone and a mexican cervesa that are both foaming excessively.

The fridge is in a 3 season uninsulated enclosed porch. Living in New England, the outside temp can fluctuate tremendously. I have a temperature sensor (meant for the outside temp) inside the fridge which senses anywhere from 34 degrees - 45 degrees. Could this be my issue? Also I currently have my CO2 pressure set at about 10 PSI and it is stored inside the fridge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Keith

Try venting some pressure from the relief valve on the top of the kegs, and then dropping the regulator to 5psi.

After you pour a pint, check the temperature of your beer. I'll bet it is higher than you think

I have had the same problem. It seems that I have a temperature gradient inside my fridge. The beer down in the lower part of the fridge is cooler than the line. This causes the CO2 to escape out of solution rapidly when it hits the line in the upper part of the fridge and results in excessive foaming. To solve this problem many people use small fans to circulate the air and better achieve uniform temperatures.

Back