Fridge TOO cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
So I got my fridge on CL and it has a problem, it is TOO cold. When it is on its lowest(warmest) setting it is still reading 32 on my thermo - is that going to be a problem when I put my kegs in there? It will foam too much correct?

Your beer might not taste right. Different beers need to be served at different temps. The colder the beer, the less taste there is.

You could always add a temperature controller and set it at 38F or whatever temp you want. The controller turns the fridge on/off as needed to keep the temp where you want it. Otherwise you might find a way to adjust the fridge's thermostat.

Does the fridge have a freezer compartment or is it a mini fridge. Many refrigerators with A freezer compartment does have to use and freeze the top Freezer compartment or else it will screw up the temp balance.

If not, the the external temp controller sounds like the best option.

dp

i would definitely make sure it gets above freezing. since ice expands, if a keg freezes it can easily be ruined.

Check out Cistercians' post - various serving temps. A controller would override your thermostat and cycle the compressor based on temp probe, so I think that would be the way to go.

So I got my fridge on CL and it has a problem, it is TOO cold. When it is on its lowest(warmest) setting it is still reading 32 on my thermo - is that going to be a problem when I put my kegs in there? It will foam too much correct?

Is this true that colder temps cause too much foam? I have a brew lagering at ~34ºF and my keg is foamy as hell even though the PSI is only ~5 with 5' of beer line. Will warming this up solve this problem? I'm pulling the carboy out tomorrow anyway to bottle. Does this happen because the beer being so cold allows it to absorb too much CO2?

Is this true that colder temps cause too much foam? I have a brew lagering at ~34ºF and my keg is foamy as hell even though the PSI is only ~5 with 5' of beer line. Will warming this up solve this problem? I'm pulling the carboy out tomorrow anyway to bottle. Does this happen because the beer being so cold allows it to absorb too much CO2?

It's quite the opposite. Click on critical issues and reads about temps. Keep in mind their talking about serving commercially produced beer at a bar at high volumes, but it still applies to us homebrewers to an extent. I serve my beer at 43F with no foaming issues.

Keg Draft Beer Questions

Back