Fridge for kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I am going to use my little fridge for storing a keg + picnic tap (don't want to mess with bottles)

The mini fridge has a freezer section that is just a plastic shelf that creates a section that freezes. If I take this out I have 29" to work with which I think will be sufficient for a ball lock keg.

My question is: Has anyone ever done this? Would this cause the beer lines (being in the same space) to freeze?

The mini fridges that I've seen as of late have the evaporator coils built in to the freezer shelf itself. Check the back of the plastic shelf and make sure there isn't a tube running into the shelf from the back or the side of the fridge. If it is it can't be removed, but you might be able to bend it downward carefully. If the hose is crimped you now just have an insulated box.

Images that I'm referring to:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...rsion-to-corny-kegerator.110039/#post-1338253

6AECB13C-7EA7-4AA1-9F54-5E44A0C2E4D6.jpeg
Lump42 is correct, you can’t take the freezer plate out.

You can, however, take the shelves out, unscrew the front screws, and gently bend the freezer plate back. Be extra careful you do not kink the refrigerant line to it. This modification will allow to covert the mini-fridge to a mini-freezer. I think it will still act as a fridge on its lowest setting.

Add a temperature control and you can set it to what ever serving temperature you desire. Mine is currently being used as an extra fridge for mostly liquor & beer.

Latest posts

Back