Fridge failed.. Question about Yeast Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearDaddys

Reaction score
Hey all..

Question regarding yeast temps.. I had a few yeasts on hand for some upcoming brews.. A few US-05, and a White Labs California Ale yeast. Last week the evaporator fan on my fridge that I keep brew supplies in went out and the fridge part went up to about 56 deg for a few days..

Should I pitch those and get new yeast, or do you guys think that's ok?? I'm usually pretty anal about my yeast getting warm (To include taking ice packs and cooler to homebrew store when I buy them.. )

Thanks for the advice! This place rocks! :rockin:

GD

Keep your yeast. The temperature did not get near the temperature which would cause any vitality loss, especially the dry yeast.

Throw yeast when the temps have been at 110°F or greater.

I would say you should be totally fine on all counts. Especially with the dry yeast. It sounds like the yeast stayed fairly cool through the whole process so I wouldn't stress. If it wasn't already your plan, I would just recommend making a yeast starter for the WLP 001 just to make sure everything is fine. But really I think you're absolutely fine as is.

Awesome.. Thank you both for your replies.. Saved me a trip to LHBS, and 20 bucks! Fridge is back in action! Wasn't sure how much temp was "too much"! :mug:

Awesome.. Thank you both for your replies.. Saved me a trip to LHBS, and 20 bucks! Fridge is back in action! Wasn't sure how much temp was "too much"! :mug:

Those little yeasties are a bit tougher than some give them credit for! As a reward for making it through the great fridge mishap of 2015 I think you should give them a nice wort to go to town on. :ban:

Back