fresh / Wet hop absorption and hop tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
Hello,

Last year, I had my second harvest (1,1kg - 2.4lbs). I used my usual IPA recipe but when I add all the wet hop at 3min, it absorbed a lot of wort. Enough to make my IPA become an IIPA.

For this year harvest (I exeptect 2-3 times more hop), I want to use it all in the same recipe. Some will say that its a lot but I just want to try it.

How do I avoid to loose all that wort? I read a lot and some say that your better to do a hop tea "on the side". Others will say that you only have to "wash" the hop with boiling water once you get it out of the wort.

What do you think? Im doing partial mash so I dont want to loose my wort.

Thanks

I always budget 2 gallons of wort for big hoppy beers, i.e. 7 gallon recipe for 5 gallon yield. Its not much more grain, and if you have the kettle space, it is the easiest way to go. Sounds like you really dont want to lose any wort, so Squeezing works too. I use a big hop bag that I pull out of the wort while its chilling and with sanitized hands, I begin spinning the bag from the top to twist the bag, then wring it out like a wet towel. Curiously I find I lose less wort with fresh hops, they are already saturated so seem to not absorb as much as dry whole cones for me. Finally, not sure how losing volume to hops would change your IPA into an IIPA?

Latest posts

Back