Fresh Roast SR500/700

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banesong

Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used this roaster? Debating on moving from my current whirly pop method over to a slightly more sophisticated process. A number of folks in my club have one and like it.

C'mon.... Logic, facts! This places thrives on conjecture and rumors!

That is a very good idea.

It would be nice if someone here used it and had some advice. I'd still ply a current owner with some homebrew in order to get a hands-on evaluation. You're pretty fortunate to even have that opportunity, take advantage.

I have a SR500.
I'm not expert, the wife and I got it a month or so ago. We have about 10-12 batches through it. It works just fine for us. We are both roasting noobs, so what we dont know we dont know. We are still finding our sweet spot with it, to get the doneness we both like. But we have hit a couple winners with Guatemalan beans, stopping right before 2nd crack.

Very easy to get repeatable results, just take good notes about everything. It wont do a ton of beans at once, but thats fine for us.

I used one for 2+ years and it worked well once you dial in your process to getting a uniform roast across beans. It takes a bit of playing with the volume of beans to add and fan speed. It helps to have a short "warm up" period with the beans.

The smaller capacity was a reason I moved on from it once I was sold on this as a long term hobby. I wanted to roast more beans at once with greater control and moved up to a Gene Cafe. I have recommended the SR500 to a number of friends and co-workers as a great choice for a dedicated roaster. I wish I still had mine but my wife broke the glass carafe on accident and tossed the whole thing. I don't really like to think about that...

We have one, it's worked well for about a year now, we're pretty heavy users of it and at this point the top of our lid is cracking and breaking, seemingly from the repeated heat exposure. So it may be coming to the end of it's life or I'm going to have to figure out a repair.

How'd it turn out? I got one for wife for Christmas but we haven't gotten a chance to break it in yet.

Back