Fresh hops vs dried hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I've found a few recipes that call for using fresh, undried hops straight from the vine and I like the idea. Fresh ingredients make better beer, right? Dehydrating something removes nutrients and some tastes, right?

However, some recipes (homebrew gardener recipe, for one) calls for only using fresh hops for late additions. Why? Does drying bring out bitterness?

Any advice for using fresh hops vs dry hops?

Problem with using fresh (wet) hops for bittering is that you have no information about the alpha acids (AA), i.e. bittering potential. The late additions are more focused on flavor and aroma because the contribution of AA to the total IBUs later in the boil is less. I just started another thread asking when the best addition time would be. Drying will remove some of the volatile compounds so you might get a more sophisticated flavor/aroma profile using wet hops. I'll hopefully find out soon! :mug:

PS: there are also tons of other threads on this topic if you look at the "similar threads" table at the bottom.

One big thing to worry about is the flavors developed. I've often heard (though never tested myself) that brewing with wethops produces more of a grassy flavor. By letting the hops dry you evaporate some of those compounds that aren't distinctively hop flavored.

Problem with using fresh (wet) hops for bittering is that you have no information about the alpha acids (AA), i.e. bittering potential. The late additions are more focused on flavor and aroma because the contribution of AA to the total IBUs later in the boil is less. I just started another thread asking when the best addition time would be. Drying will remove some of the volatile compounds so you might get a more sophisticated flavor/aroma profile using wet hops. I'll hopefully find out soon! :mug:

PS: there are also tons of other threads on this topic if you look at the "similar threads" table at the bottom.

Very helpful, thanks.

Just to confirm: 5:1 ratio for wet hops to dry for ibu similarity, use bland pellets for bittering?

Very helpful, thanks.

Just to confirm: 5:1 ratio for wet hops to dry for ibu similarity, use bland pellets for bittering?

Somewhere between 5:1 and 7:1, yes; it's dependent on the moisture content of your hops :)

For bittering I'd use some high-alpha hops pellets (in fact, I will do that next week).

Cool. Ill have fuggles, mt hood, cascade, and goldings for fresh hops.

Anybody have suggestions for style?

Latest posts

Back