Fresh grain taste in my IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried an IPA from a small brewery in Hawaii and to me it had a strong taste of fresh grain. Way more than any IPA I have had. My question is any idea as to what grain or grains could be added to my next steep that would add a lot of fresh grain flavor? Thanks!

I tried an IPA from a small brewery in Hawaii and to me it had a strong taste of fresh grain. Way more than any IPA I have had. My question is any idea as to what grain or grains could be added to my next steep that would add a lot of fresh grain flavor? Thanks!

Well, if you're steeping that may be hard as really only grain tastes like grain. You could try adding 1/2 pound of aromatic malt (and mashing it, as it must be mashed) and see if that helps. It should increase the "maltiness" but not the actual graininess of the beer.

I will start with that. I have had other beers from their brewery and not noticed that flavor before so i figured it was a specific specialty grain that is giving that taste. I know it is not just 2 row or similar.

Latest posts

Back