French Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeez

Reaction score
Hey guy's,

So brewed a batch of my Honey ginger wit a few day's ago and didnt notice until after we had already started the batch that I grabbed a Vile of WLP072 " French Ale " Yeast wondering if anybody's worked with it and what kind of flavor profile will it give a Wit. Regardless if it's good or not it will at the very least be a experimental batch of this Wit which turned out VERY good the last time.

Skeez said:
Hey guy's,

So brewed a batch of my Honey ginger wit a few day's ago and didnt notice until after we had already started the batch that I grabbed a Vile of WLP072 " French Ale " Yeast wondering if anybody's worked with it and what kind of flavor profile will it give a Wit. Regardless if it's good or not it will at the very least be a experimental batch of this Wit which turned out VERY good the last time.

What temp are you fermenting at? I love that yeast, very malty in low temps, estery at closer to 70 and up. Spicing should be interesting.

I've had it at ambient room temp, which I keep the house at about 75. It fermented vigorously for about 2 day's and it's slowed big time today like one or two bubbles every minuet or so. And seeing as i've never used the strain b4 yeah the spicing should be different to say the least

Even at cooler temps, this strain has always fermented out in a few days for me.

Fermentation temps in a carboy or bucket can easily get 10 degrees above ambient temp, so I'd guess your beer will be quite estery and possibly have some fusels or other off flavors. You might want to use a 'swamp bath' - a big rubbermaid tub filled with cold water and a towel on the carboy. It creates evaporative cooling and is the cheepest way to keep fermentation temps down.

Back