Frementing/LAgering a Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Hi Everoyne,

I finally have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. I plan to brew a Traditional Bock this weekend. I'm using Wyeast 2206.

I know this needs to ferment at about 50F. Is that the lagering? Or do I lager once fermentation is finished (multiple consistant gravity readings) - and if so what temperature do I lager at?

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian,

I am just finishing up my primary fermentation of my Maibock with 2206. A few pointers for you. I'm at 3 weeks now and took my reading and I'm at 1.018 with an OG of 1.072. I pitched at 54 and kept my fermentation temp at 48 the entire way. Its resulted in a very fine taste that I'm sure will translate to a good beer after the next month or so of lagering.

I would recommend the 48 for 3 weeks, then take a reading. See where you are at. Once you have hit your desired FG, I would recommend transfering for your lagering period. You don't have to transfer to a secondary if you don't want to, but I throw mine into the keg and drop the temp down to 33* and put it on gas.

Hi Everoyne,

I finally have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. I plan to brew a Traditional Bock this weekend. I'm using Wyeast 2206.

I know this needs to ferment at about 50F. Is that the lagering? Or do I lager once fermentation is finished (multiple consistant gravity readings) - and if so what temperature do I lager at?

Thanks!

Brian

Lagering is a conditioning process that is done after the beer has fermented; the CW is that it should be done at near-freezing temperatures, and for as long a time as possible. More time allows the beer to condition better than less time. Are you bottling or kegging? Kegging is easier.

Thank you both for your resposnes. I have a much better understanding.

I am bottling in the end. So I suppose the next thing I have to worry about is autolysis and not being able to bottle carb the beers? Do I add some yeat when I'm ready to bottle?

I just started drinking a Bock that I brewed back on 12/27/14. Fermented at 45-50 for 1 week, then warmed her up to 65 for the 2nd week for a D-rest. Wasn't ready to rack it yet, so kept her at 60 for a 3rd week before racking to a carboy for lagering. Lagered out in my cold garage in a water filled swamp cooler for 8 weeks. It was d**n cold out there and the bucket froze completely to the bottom at one point and the beer actually froze. Moved it inside until it thawed and then back out. At bottling time I planned on adding some yeast, but forgot. She carbonated well in 3 weeks and is just perfect now. Lagers take time, but IMO are worth it.

Wxman, just checking is the ambient temp 50*f or do you have the temp probe taped to the side of the carboy? I find that the wort temp is always higher then the ambient.

Just checking though.

Wxman, just checking is the ambient temp 50*f or do you have the temp probe taped to the side of the carboy? I find that the wort temp is always higher then the ambient.

Just checking though.

The side of the carboy says 50F

Latest posts

Back