Freezing meat before curing, smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildozarkwine

Reaction score
The state is setting a hog trap up at work this week and we expect/hope to catch several wild russian boar. It will probably be several weeks before I can do any curing, or smoking. I assume that it is safe to freeze the meat until I have time to cure and smoke it but wanted to check and see if any one has had issues with doing this.

Yep. Totally fine. I do it all the time w/ pork bellies. I like to buy from a local farmer when the price is right, then freeze several bellies and cure them one at a time over several months to save freezer space in my kitchen. Just be sure they are thawed (but still at fridge temp) before curing.

I have 2 hams and a sholder cured and going into the smoker Sat, along with 2 loins. As soon as they are out of the fridge I am going to start curing 3 more hams. We have caught 5 boars so far. I gave two away to some ne who needed the meat.

Latest posts

Back