Freezing, bottling already carbed eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale1038

Reaction score
I have about a quarter keg of bock that I was hoping to freeze concentrate and bottle for an eisbock.

My concerns are that it's already carbonated and I'm not sure what will happen to the carb levels once I freeze the beer?

I'm also worried about where the water will freeze because I would then be bottling directly from the keg counter pressure style?

Anybody have any insight?

not technically legal in the US, but the water should freeze on top. when freeze concentrating generally people let it skim over take that out let it skim over take that out ....... until you reach whatever it is you are looking for. you dont want a large chunk of ice in your keg or you will end up denting it from the inside out, maybe tearing a hole.

Carbonation shouldnt be a problem, it will be more carbonated if you leave it on pressure, but you would be warming it before bottling i assume.

I realize this is an old thread, but i just wanted to refute this myth. Freeze concentrating homebrew is in fact legal. The feb. 20, 2009 episode of basic brewing video has the pertinent information, but according to the TTB it's ok.

Latest posts

Back