Freezer with built in electronic temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrionLax

Reaction score
Good day,

I have the opportunity to pick up this unit cheap as a scratch and dent unit from the manufacturer. I have looked around but I was not able to find any threads with people with experience of setting up a keezer with a temperature controller using a freezer that comes with built in electronic controls.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of configuration or any concerns that I may run into issues with the electronics on the unit? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bottom line is what happens when that unit loses AC input power.
Does the thermostat "remember" the last setting, or does it reset to some factory-specified temperature?
Or, worst case, does it go idle and let everything thaw?

Cheers!

Thanks @day_trippr. Those were some of the questions that I asked. I guess in the end, I could probably just bypass the electronics all together.

Cheers

With a mechanical (bulb and capillary) thermostat, that'll work every time. But digital controls can behave quite differently.
Again, one needs to know how the system behaves after recovering from power loss and not assume a "coldest temp" setting actually persists...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back