Freezer for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
My new years resolution is to stop brewing beer with off-flavors :D

I am looking to really control my fermentation temps since it is the one factor in my process I feel is random. My apt just cannot keep steady. I also want more lagers all year round, not just when my friends garage may be cold enough.

I am looking for a SMALL freezer that I can fit a 6 gallon glass carboy in. I would like cheap. My local sores are k-mart, walmart, lowes and home depot.

Anyone got one from one of these and know it works with a large 6 gallon glass carboy? I guess I would need a temp controller also.

Sean

Are you only looking to get a new one? A used one would be much cheaper.

And yes you will need a temp controller. I like the STC-1000 for the price. They are easy to wire in and I haven't had any problems at all with either of the two that I use.

Used would be cheaper but typically less efficient and near it's end of life. I would look for returns or open box freezers on clearance. Know your carboy measurements and measure first. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

I bought two 5 cu ft Kenmore freezers from Sears. Paid about $150 each. I used one as a regular freezer and one as a fermentation chamber/keezer, rigged to a Johnson temp controller. Both freezers died within a year, so I wouldn't recommend Sears - at least not their cheapo stuff. I'd be interested in recommendations also, since I'm looking to replace these two.

Here is a 3.6 by igloo on sale. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-3.6-cu.-ft.-Chest-Freezer/15162426

May order to see if the 6.5 will fit, the dimensions are a bit different.

Igloo 22.25L x 22.25W x 32.5H
Danby 25"L x 22"W x 33"H

Edit - those must be outer dimensions too, not inner. My 6.5 carboy is only about 12 inches across.

I wonder if the Length difference will make the igloo too small.

I us an wine Enthusiast wine cooler. About $300.00 but you dont need a temp control. It looks great in my apartment living room. Holds one 6 gallon glass or better bottle.

Roger

My $50 used fridge lasted 6 months then crapped out. It is the luck of the draw. If you don't mind switching out your kegerator then keep looking for used ones.
I am at the point where I'm angry I wasted all the time of fitting out the old fridge and building a custom wood floor to now have to go through all that again. I also lose all the cool stickers I put on it.
My next will probably be new. I am still not sold on a chest freezer. It looks good, but I still like the idea of a fridge. Unless you need some specific temps for fermenting, I find good ol fridge temp works good for me so no need for controllers or a circulating fan or building a collar. I only have 2 taps so only need to store 3 kegs. I also get a freezer section to store hops and extra frozen pizzas for the kids.

I would check with your local appliance retailers/repairs (not the large national chains like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot...). I have a local outfit that reconditions trade-in refrig's and freezers and sells them. I've seen 17-21 cu. ft. refrig's for about $150-$200. They move fast. They also sell reconditioned freezers, but they're fewer in number.

Back