Free Rise with Inkbird ITC-308-WiFi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWood2115

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to do configure an Inkbird ITC-308-WiFi to do a free rise fermentation.

My current process is to chill my wort down to 64-65F, aerate and pitch yeast. I then move the (plastic bucket) fermenter into the chamber and tape the temperature probe to the outside of the bucket with a few layers of bubble wrap. I would like to let the fermentation temperature rise freely to 68-70F (depending upon the yeast) and then hold at that temperature +/- 1F (until its time for a diacetyl rest or other planned temperature change).

The ITC-308-WiFi is not smart enough to do a true free rise (i.e., raising the heating set point to be just below the current fermentation temperature). But I thought I would be able to approximate this by setting the target temperature to be at the upper end of the optimum temperature range (e.g., 68F) and the heating hysteresis large enough to include the current temperature (e.g., 4F, so that 68F - 4F >= 64F, the chilled wort temperature) and then manually reducing the heating hysteresis to tighten the temperature range as fermentation gets going. Unfortunately, whenever I change any of the settings, including reducing the heating hysteresis, the Inkbird appears to ignore the heating hysteresis parameter until the temperature exactly hits the target temperature. Only once it has hit the target once does it seem to apply the algorithm and let the temperature fluctuate within the programmed range.

Has anyone else observed this behavior? If not, perhaps I just have a buggy part. If so, have you figured out a workaround?

Are you making Belgian beers?

You might try just controlling ambient temp to give the beer some space to rise on its own. I have a very nerdy fermentation controller, but I'm not really convinced it's necessary and don't use the tight controls I have when I make Belgian beers (which is when I do free-rise).

Hopefully someone else can help with the adjustments, but I'm sure you'll make great beer even if you don't lock that down.

Current batch is an IPA with WLP002 English Ale. Last batch was a Belgian IPA with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. Next batch will be a Belgian Wit with Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit. But at most 20% Belgians over the course of the year.

I ferment in my basement, which at this time of year is pretty cold (<60F). I have had a few batches not clean up very well in the past, which I suspect was because they cooled off too quickly after active fermentation stopped. Since I started controlling temperature, I have made better beer.

My goal is to let the fermentation temperature rise on its own, I just haven't figured out the best way to achieve this with this controller.

Thanks!

It sounds like what you really want is the ability to raise temp at the end of fermentation to drive attenuation. I usually raise temp 4-5 degrees when fermentation starts to slow. You don't really need a free-rise for that, no? I've never done a free-rise with an IPA.

I've got a 3944 Wit on tap right now, and I'm very happy with the results controlling just ambient. Here is what I did 1 day @65, 2 days @68, 1 day at 76. That's with a starter.

The temperature profile for your Wit is basically what I want to achieve, but I would prefer that the rise from 65F to 68F be driven by yeast activity (not my skanky space heater). I guess I should stop over-thinking this and just set the target temperature to 68F with a heating hysteresis of 4-5F. If I hold the temperature sensor in my hand for a few seconds before attaching it to the bucket, that will get the measured temperature over 68F so it won't try to actively raise the temperature. Once it hits 68F (after a day or two of fermentation) I can adjust the heating hysteresis (and/or bump the target temperature to 76F as desired).

Thanks for helping me think through this.

Just hanging the sensor in the air is what's going to allow the natural fluctuation. You're basically using the air to loosen the controls and let the yeast do its thing. If you set temp to 68 and keep the sensor away from the fermentor it is going to rise quite a bit beyond that.

Good luck, and happy brewing!

The simplest solution would be to program your controller as you want and then unplug it until the temperature reaches your desired set point. Or put a switch inline to your heater.

Back