Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody get word yet from OU? It is supposed to start in less than 2 weeks and I have not heard anything. Might have to buy a text book or something?

I'm going through the basic chemistry course which is open and all the materials are in the janux environment. Combination of materials to read and videos to watch so far.

Just signed-up. PLOVE = lovellp

Should be a blast.
I-chem :(
O-chem : )
B-chem : (
Beer-chem ?? - Finally a reason to "like" chemistry.

Has anyone received an e mail about the course? Its starts soon and haven't gotten anything from the school.

All,

Thought I would answer a couple of questions:

Course Materials -

There is not a required textbook. All of the content, video and reading, will be on the platform (janux.ou.edu) or linked from the platform to open access sites. There are some great books out there, but in an attempts to have an Open Course without additional required costs I have attempted to find all open access content.

I should also note that the platform allows you to take notes and share notes in the system. You can make a note for yourself or to share with your friends or with the whole class. Therefore, I wanted to maximize the utility of the platform by on boarding as much content as possible.

Tablets (iPad) -

There will be an iPad app coming out soon. Hopefully, by the start of class. The beta version looked great.

I have been able to use the site on my iPad for the General Chemistry course. The platform is going through updates on a weekly basis and the new courses may be running on a separate server. That being said, the goal is that the site will work on most browsers (with the exception of older versions of IE) and on most mobile devices, specifically iOS devices.

If the site does not work on your browser or device once the class goes active, please let me know.

General Chemistry Course -

The General Chemistry course was for "flipped" support for students enrolled at OU. This is one of the reasons that there is little activity on the site. We also were building the course on-demand. I am hopeful that the Organic Chemistry section in the General Chemistry course will be up by January 13.

The "Chemistry of Beer" course is an online course at OU and I expect that the discussions and online interactions will be much richer and social. Also, the course is near completion. I just have to finish up a few assessments and the video team is working on some graphics. Everyone working on the project is excited about the course and interest.

I hope to send out a class e-mail soon. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your interest. This should be fun.

Prof

Signed up but no correspondence from the school yet. I start an Operations Management course on 01/06 too.

Signed up as well, hoping to get some chemistry education as I couldn't comprehend it in highschool.

Edit-

Created a group for HomeBrewTalk on the Janux site, maybe we can all join and represent. Group name is HomeBrewTalk.com

To join:
Log in: https://janux.ou.edu then go to contacts > groups > join group > then enter code: s5yrUMqbKYa

Signed up as well, hoping to get some chemistry education as I couldn't comprehend it in highschool.

Edit-

Created a group for HomeBrewTalk, maybe we can all join and represent.

To join, go to contacts, groups, join group and enter code: s5yrUMqbKYa

What's the name of the group, Ian?

I must be missing something. Where did you create this group? HBT?

Not seeing it in the list.

I don't see any groups there...

image.jpg

The prof wrote a note Thursday or Friday and said he'd send out an email this week. Also all necessary materials will be within janux (or linked to outside content that is free). No need to buy any books or any materials.

1 Week until Close Starts. Don't forget to join the HBT Group by going to Contacts- Groups- Join Group and entering "s5yrUMqbKYa" (Thanks IanJ)

Professor- mmorvant (HBT)

Students
HBT Username- Class Username:
brokebucket- grebe
1fast636- hophead636
Arrheinous- Arrheinous
mattd2- mattd2
DaveHunter5- dave.hunter5
zachssoojdm- zachssoojdm
hedbutter- pmh076
MorrisBrewingCo- seanrm42
kadijk- kadijk
Chuckd76- Chuckd76
OakPond- OakPond
Drookit- Drookit
BorealBrewer- BorealBrewer
geek chaser- geek chaser or spykgurl
ejluttmann- ejluttmann
xjmox14x- xjmox14x
Geer537- stevegeer
ncbrewer- ncbrewer
beernutz- beernutz
Libertybrewer- Libertybrewer
lukeziegler- lukeziegler
girdwood- girdwood
govner1- govner1
E-Bot- etbrandt
Yooper- YooperBrew
MedicMang- MedicMang
jaydog2314- jjanes23
JPrather- jprather
BrewCanuck- ThirstyEng
hector- hector
brian4508- brian4508
sar_dog_1- Jamesreardon1
ResumeMan- ResumeMan
dauus- dauus
teej_810- livefreeandbrew
Bigscience- Bigscience
coyote68- coyote68
zeptrey- zeptrey
sybesbrew- SybesBrew
SliverXZennon- SliverXZennon
Mb2658- Mb2658
Bmoneysmafia- Bmoneysmafia
burkecw- burkecw
shelly- shelly
pjj2ba- pjj2ba
beerzrus- zalmajd
Nightshade- Nightshade
steelcurtain- ryand
bigskygreg- bigskygreg
splattsmier- splattsmier
craigger64- craigger64
Darby0626- Darby0626
ChuckO- chucko
The542- The542
joes99- joem9
Peleus74- Peleus74
elsphinc- elsphinc
ZombieCat- ZombieCat
dgrieve- dgrieve
Medic699- Medic699
buckeyebrewer521- gburns521
tflew- tflewelling
Danno81- DanRamsey
brandonhagen1- brandonhagen1
FalconsBrew- FalconsBrew
chalkboardbrewer- chalkboardbrewer
genetsao- genetsao
endorphine44- endorphine44
kellynm- kellynm
misfit- misfit
LabRatBrewer- LabratBrewer
GilSwillBasementBrews- GilPlocher62
ChrisMT- ChrisMT
Mobeers- mofire08
bbrammer- bryan_brammer
DanVStl- dstlvb
thecolorred- ryanhannigan
newkybrown- beergoggles
ziggy13- ziggy13
ram5ey- ram5ey
kranak- kranak
BRBC- Wingman
PNP- P-N-P
PLOVE- lovellp
bren2426- brenle2426

This is awesome! I'm new to this site, but I signed up for the course today and I can't wait!

I'm already taking 18 credits of Mechanical Engineering this semester also starting the 13th, but I'll have to make time for this course too! I can't pass this up.

username is same as HBT: all_about_stouts

This is awesome! I'm new to this site, but I signed up for the course today and I can't wait!

I'm already taking 18 credits of Mechanical Engineering this semester also starting the 13th, but I'll have to make time for this course too! I can't pass this up.

username is same as HBT: all_about_stouts

Yikes. Just don't sacrifice your real GPA for this course.

Latest posts

Back