Free bottles, how to get them.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a year now, and just like every newbie, I needed bottles. Also with everyone liking my beers, no one would return them back. Now I live in the country and I have to bring my recycling to the town hall recycling center. That's when I got the idea. I was dumping a bucket of twist tops in the bin when I saw a ton of pop top bottles. I told the guy I brew beer and if I could grab a bunch of them. With a go ahead, I filled a barrel full of bottles at no charge. I'm not sure if every center does this, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Offer so cash or a 6er of your beer as a thank you. I figured I'd spread the word about this since bottles brand new average around .50 a bottle.

I've been brewing for a year now, and just like every newbie, I needed bottles. Also with everyone liking my beers, no one would return them back. Now I live in the country and I have to bring my recycling to the town hall recycling center. That's when I got the idea. I was dumping a bucket of twist tops in the bin when I saw a ton of pop top bottles. I told the guy I brew beer and if I could grab a bunch of them. With a go ahead, I filled a barrel full of bottles at no charge. I'm not sure if every center does this, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Offer so cash or a 6er of your beer as a thank you. I figured I'd spread the word about this since bottles brand new average around .50 a bottle.

Good find.

Make sure that you visually inspect the bottom of each bottle carefully after you've cleaned them. None of those bottles likely were rinsed just after use and some may have some pretty stubborn caked-on gunk stuck inside. That stuff can infect your beer even if you've hit it with sanitizer.

When I got bottles like that,I'd soak them in PBW for a day or so. 1.5ozs PBW per gallon of water. The gunk would float right out,some clods intact. The scrub with warm or hot tap water & rinse. I have a bottle tree & vinator to hang them on to dry. The vinatoe half full of Starsan to sanitize right before filling.

Good find.

Make sure that you visually inspect the bottom of each bottle carefully after you've cleaned them. None of those bottles likely were rinsed just after use and some may have some pretty stubborn caked-on gunk stuck inside. That stuff can infect your beer even if you've hit it with sanitizer.

I get a number from my town's recycling center. You need to be careful not only of the dried gunk, cigarette butts and other crap people stuff into the bottles, but inspect each one carefully for any signs of stress fractures. I've rejected a number of bottles due to small chips, fine cracks and other deformities I've found.

Good find.

What I do is boil them, then wash and scrub them with the brush while doing that I check for cracks and chip then I sanitize. A lot of work but it's gotta be done to keep good beer.

I got my free bottles a different way: they came filled with beer, which I simply had to drink. Once the bottle was empty, it was a free beer bottle! And I didn't have to worry about gunk in the bottom of the bottle. Easy-peasy!

glenn514:mug:

I got my free bottles a different way: they came filled with beer, which I simply had to drink. Once the bottle was empty, it was a free beer bottle! And I didn't have to worry about gunk in the bottom of the bottle. Easy-peasy!

I, too, acquired my bottles in this fashion.

After saving up 50-60 bottles, even if I give some away and never see them again, it isn't hard to replenish my stock by buying a 6 pack.

I prefer my own brews to most of what is on the store shelves. Besides, it gives me an excuse for more brewing ;)

All of my bottle stock came with beer in them ( currently around 300 ). Having four kids in their 20's means i have had allot of help emptying both store bought and home brew. Christmas was kind of hard on the bottle supply since everyone who visited thought taking home a sixer of homebrew sounded great.

Haha this is my tactic! Who doesn't love emptying free bottles!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back