Franziskaner Hefe-weisse Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This recipe I'm posting is different. I got all the exact ingredients it calls for except I got WLP300 yeast instead. Will be starting it within a couple days..

--------

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
5 gallon recipe
OG 1.052-1.054
FG 1.012
IBU 13
ABV 5.2

Perhaps one of the best hefes on the market, this clone is pretty damn close as long as you have temperature control on the mashing Ingredients
7lb German Wheat Malt(1.5-2L)
2.75 lb German Pilsner Malt
4 oz Belgian aromatic malt (20-26L) gives a distinct maltiness
2oz acid malt (1.7-2.8L)
1lb Rice or Oat Hulls
1oz German Hallertau Hersbrucker 3%AA (3HBU 2.4HBU is preferred)
¼ oz Spalt apx 3.6AA can substitute with Czech saaz
1/4oz Perle apx6.8AA can substitute with Northern Brewer
1 tsp irish moss
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat 68-72 deg
-or- Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan weizen 68-72 deg
Mash ALL grains and and rice/oat hulls
150 degrees for 90 minutes then remove spent grains
I would recommend a sparge of 1 gallon 150 deg water over the spent grains into the wort Add 2.4HBU (hallertau) once brought to a boil and boil for 45 minutes Add Spalt and Perle and boil additional 15 minutes
Crash cool the wort, it must be below 70 degrees to pitch the yeast

Primary fermentation is 7-8 days, secondary up to 3 weeks depending on how clear you want it If you bottle it, prime at 70 degrees for 3 weeks to carbonate
Flavor will peak between 1 and 3 months.

This will make apx 5 gallons, but don’t force it. Make sure you SG is on and let the volume be what it is. I have had 4.75-5.25 gallons depending on the efficiency of the mash and the quality of the grains.

I make this recipe regularly for the woman, she quite likes it. I do as well, when I feel like a hef.

Very solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's the recipe for 10gal batch I'll be brewing this weekend:

14lb White wheat malt
5.5lb pilsner mat
1/2lb aromatic malt
1lb carapils malt
mashed at 158F for 60min, adjusted water profile as required
2oz Hallertauer boil for 60min
2TBS corn starch boil for 10min (for extra haze)

Will split into two 5gal for fermentation as follow:
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan weizen at 72F
Wyeat 1007 German Ale at 60F

OG=1.049
FG=1.012
ABV=4.8
IBU=10
SRM=5

Here's the recipe for 10gal batch I'll be brewing this weekend:

14lb White wheat malt
5.5lb pilsner mat
1/2lb aromatic malt
1lb carapils malt
mashed at 158F for 60min, adjusted water profile as required
2oz Hallertauer boil for 60min
2TBS corn starch boil for 10min (for extra haze)

Will split into two 5gal for fermentation as follow:
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan weizen at 72F
Wyeat 1007 German Ale at 60F

OG=1.049
FG=1.012
ABV=4.8
IBU=10
SRM=5

I brewed this couple weeks ago and tastes pretty good, both beers.
Can I call both a German Hefeweizen despite the different yeast?

I may have shed a man tear the first time I tasted this beer. It was like waking up and tasting a piece of heaven for the first time.

The trick with any Hefe is to ferment cold, stay out of the 70's and ferment at 64-66. "Something magical happens". You will know immediately once you try it.

This was one of the first beers that took me away from BMC back in the early 90's. Still love it.

I was wondering when to add the maltodextrin? I BIAB if that matters.

I know it's an old thread but doesn't matter

Looking to make a Franzi clone. And this older thread was the only one the search pulled up. So I'll be doing the AG version of this one, unless someone has a newer version.

Looking to make a Franzi clone. And this older thread was the only one the search pulled up. So I'll be doing the AG version of this one, unless someone has a newer version.

this will get you in the ballpark. i'm not sure about the malto dextrine. Never put anything like that in my beers (which I have taste-tested against franziskaner, and it's very close, but franziskaner is not really my favorite hefeweizen anyway). I also use less hops in mine, but I was using fairly hard water and not correcting ph, since it's much less of an issue with hefeweizen.

In 6 years of living an hour from munich, i never really tasted *any* hefeweizen that anything I would call hop character, so I use only 60 minute hops.

For me, the key has been fermentation temperature control. All my best and most authentic hefeweizens have fermented at 62-64 degrees. The ones that up towards 68-70 are the ones that turned out thinner, excessively estery, less body, and just less authentic. If you do water adjustment, I would stay on the higher side of mash ph than you would normally do for such a light beer.

this will get you in the ballpark. i'm not sure about the malto dextrine. Never put anything like that in my beers (which I have taste-tested against franziskaner, and it's very close, but franziskaner is not really my favorite hefeweizen anyway). I also use less hops in mine, but I was using fairly hard water and not correcting ph, since it's much less of an issue with hefeweizen.

In 6 years of living an hour from munich, i never really tasted *any* hefeweizen that anything I would call hop character, so I use only 60 minute hops.

For me, the key has been fermentation temperature control. All my best and most authentic hefeweizens have fermented at 62-64 degrees. The ones that up towards 68-70 are the ones that turned out thinner, excessively estery, less body, and just less authentic. If you do water adjustment, I would stay on the higher side of mash ph than you would normally do for such a light beer.

Thanks, Got a recipe for your hefe?

Latest posts

Back