Frankin'sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shackleford_rusty

Reaction score
I have been contemplating about making a sanke Fermenter. Like the one pictured below only with a SS brew tech bucket lid(with gasket) . The only modification I will do in addition is having ball lock posts on the lid so that i can transfer via c02 after fermentation is complete without shifting yeast cake lifting it out of my ferm chamber. (I understand that I'll need to plug the airlock to get proper seal to transfer)

Has anyone done something like this with good results?

Am I over doing a simple project? Doing all this instead of using a orange cap on the sanke post?

I love the idea of the brew bucket removable lid for cleaning purposes. Trying to clean and visually inspect through the sanke hole just worries me.
Screenshot_20180817-114712_Pinterest.jpeg

That looks like a pretty solid unit, the only thing that would be a downside is the height that it adds to the sanke keg and being able to fit in a chest freezer(ferm chamber in my case). Building A simple collar should do the trick though.
Nice solution.
Thanks

You have just solved an issue that I have been having without knowing. Going to take a 1/6 barrel sanke and add a ball lock at the bottom over the top of the conical and call it a fermenter. Brilliant. You got it goin' OP.

Simplicity is sometimes better, corny keg lid with a hole cut for number 2 drilled stopper. Used a plasma cutter for the opening and about 5 feet of Emery cloth to smooth it out.
Now this is a slim pony keg 7.75 gallon, with the smaller size i can lift this opposed to a 15.5 gallon size. So instead of corny posts, I'll probably some day put a ball lock toward the bottom for transfers. For now a spin will do just fine.
I have 5 gallons of RIS 1.116 to test it out as we speak. So i had to Mcguver a blow off tube.
Cheers
20190213_141939.jpeg
20190212_105001.jpeg

Back