Francizkaner hefe weissbier and Weihenstephan yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaii_Dean

Reaction score
Wrong yeast for my clone - tasty beer though but more phenolic than intended which I enjoy but wasn't targeting. Pushed fermentation toward esters but this strain didn't give me the flavor profile I was looking for.

I brew all grain, counterflow chiller, no sanitation issue with this beer.

Just looking for more malt nose in the flavor profile due to yeast selection and not malt bill.

Recommendations? Blended yeasts?

Dean

I've done very many hefeweizen's and personally I've found Weihenstephan yeast just won't give you that Franziskaner flavor. I've gotten closer to it with Wyeast 3638 but still not 100% on. Not sure if Franziskaner actually uses weihenstephan yeast but if they do then something else in the process creates that awesome balance of banana and wheat spice.

I've double decocted and got a bit closer but still to this day haven't mimicked the flavor perfectly but I've made some amazing hefe's. Last several batches I've been adding Carawheat to my recipes, about 5%, and the malt character has been way better.

Rev.

Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it immensely

Dean

My pleasure. One thing I forgot to add, I've read a number of people around different internet forums and such say that the yeast inside the Franziskaner bottles themselves is lager yeast that they add for a clean bottle conditioning period before they ship. I have zero information whether or not this is true! So don't take that as fact by any means. It has me curious really. I know the yeast in Franziskaner bottles is extremely fine and powdery whereas all the hefe yeasts I've used in my beers have yeast that tends to create tiny clumps or string a little bit more, mostly string, which is something I never see in a Franziskaner - and it's my favorite beer in the world so I drink ridiculous amounts of it. Some on here have reused Franziskaner yeast but I don't recall reading any final word on the outcome. Maybe someone else with experience using their yeast can chime in.

I think the best info I provided above was the 3638 yeast (personal preference and I still use 3068 for my Weizenbock) and adding a small amount of Carawheat which helped the malt body of my hefe's quite noticeably.

Rev.

Back