Founder's Rubaeus Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my Rubaeus clone, with credit to this thread for ideas: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=481039

"Ruby Slipper Raspberry Wheat"
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.009
ABV: 7.0%

3# Belgian Pils
3# Torrified Wheat
4oz Munich
4# Wheat DME (55% wheat, 45% barley)
1oz Strisselspalt @ 45min
US-04 English Ale Yeast
3# Fresh/Frozen Raspberries in secondary

Mash @ 150F. 60 minute boil. It ended up with a good raspberry aroma and flavor, though it doesn't have the same sweet/tart pop that Rubaeus has.

Next time, I plan on making the following changes:
1) Mash at a higher temp - probably closer to 154-155
2) Do a 90 minute boil
3) Up the raspberries to 5 pounds

For the sweetness (which IMO is too strong in Rubaeus), I'd think you'd need to add in some light Crystal and or honey malt - something with some sweetness that isn't fermentable.

For the sweetness (which IMO is too strong in Rubaeus), I'd think you'd need to add in some light Crystal and or honey malt - something with some sweetness that isn't fermentable.

Right you are! I had added 4 ounces of honey malt to the revised recipe. I figured I'd start small and increase it if it's not enough. And hopefully the increased raspberries will up the tartness a bit.

Back