Found some new fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
These are 2.5 Gallons of purified water we use for baby formula. Next use will be small batch fermenters.

Anybody else ever use these? looks like maybe a carboy bung will fit in the hole that the spout goes

ForumRunner_20120928_051030.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120928_050938.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120928_050938.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 429
Arent you supposed to pierce a hole in the jug to allow the fluid to flow out? We keep a couple of bottles of water like that and they have a place to pierce them so the jug doesn't get vacuum locked and slosh and go glug. If you have to make the hole, a piece of tape would probably reseal it and hold adequately as a secondary.
Bob

We dont pierce the hole. one reason is because I just noticed it yesterday and the other reason is we just tilt it up after each bottle, open the lid to let it vent. when you only do 3-4 oz venting isnt totally neccasary.

hopefully they work though.

Going from a not so pristine memory, two things: the handle area is bad.... I don't remember why, maybe hard to clean?

Second, there was some discussion about being round is better for yeast activity? Could be thinking Mash tuns though.

Take it as a grain of salt as I am really pulling through foggy memory.

I tried using them once, and both batches were infected. I wasn't able to cut a perfect hole for an air lock and there was some extra space I think. I'm sure they could work but be aware and extra sanitary.

Maybe I'll use then as a long term secondary. I can definitely see how the handle area could be hard to clean

I don't know if I'd use them for real long term storage - I think they aren't the best in terms of oxygen permeability. I don't know if beer if acidic enough to matter, but I tried to store star-san in a milk jug and it developed a pin hole leak. Might just be coincidence, though.

Back