Found an oxygen tank wondering if it's safe to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of the o2 tank I am wondering if it would be safe to refill and use with a stainless steel diffusion stone. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402353747.354519.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402353767.905966.jpg

I can't comment on if it's okay to use or not, but you may have a hard time getting it filled, being its a medical oxygen tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Damn :/ I was totally hoping to have a tank that would last me a good amount of batches oh well thanks for the replies guys

You can not get it filled without an RX. Oxygen is considered a drug by the FDA.

That sounded off, so I googled it and found it to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

Do you have the "yoke" style regulator that fits it?

Does your Dr. like homebrew?

He would probably write you a script for it, if you 'splained what it was for.

My Dr. said that he would.

I got lucky last week and got a tank that size ~1/2 full for $30 with the regulator. I will likely pitch it once it's empty which should be quite a while

Is it in date for hydrostatic testing? The date should be stamped near the neck of the tank. I have a couple of them, and the respiratory care supplier just swapped out my outdated bottle for a newer one.

A prescription requires the drug, dose, route of administration, and frequency. Oxygen 2 l/min via cannula PRN would suffice. You would have to pay the respiratory care place in cash for the oxygen, and not submit the cost to health insurance, as that would be insurance fraud. If you pay them in cash, I would not see such a script as a big deal. It's not much of a drug of abuse! Where are you? I'm licensed in Iowa and Nebraska to write such scripts.

Is it in date for hydrostatic testing? The date should be stamped near the neck of the tank. I have a couple of them, and the respiratory care supplier just swapped out my outdated bottle for a newer one.

A prescription requires the drug, dose, route of administration, and frequency. Oxygen 2 l/min via cannula PRN would suffice. You would have to pay the respiratory care place in cash for the oxygen, and not submit the cost to health insurance, as that would be insurance fraud. If you pay them in cash, I would not see such a script as a big deal. It's not much of a drug of abuse! Where are you? I'm licensed in Iowa and Nebraska to write such scripts.

I will take a look and send more pictures when I get home I spoke to a coworker and he said I might be able to fill it at this place called air gas near my home I might check them out tomorrow

Back