Formula for how long it will take wine to spoil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a formula I can use that will help me determine how long it will take wine to spoil depending on how much head space there is? I'm trying to prove a point to a friend who want's to keep a "keg" of wine in a water cooler. I told this person that because air has to be introduced for it to "pour" that it will spoil, that and the seals. The rebuttal was..."how long will it take to spoil?"

Not sure if it would act like a bottle of wine does in a similar condition, but if it does I'd say half-emptied you'd be lucky to have it stay prime for more than a day.

Are they able to supply C02 to the keg instead of just letting air in?? They have devices to let the C02 in at atmospheric pressure to not risk carbing the liquid at all, but it prevents oxygen from getting in.

Fill a cornie keg with the wine. Problem solved. He's got his 5 gallon bottle and the CO2 will keep it from spoiling.

Back