Forgotten Starter Wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetal

Reaction score
I wanted to create a yeast starter for my next brew. I mixed up some DME and boiled it in a 3L flask. As i was cooling the wort before pitching the yeast - I discovered that my stir plate wasnt working anymore (I had built it at home and probably burnt up some component). As it was pretty late - I just decided to foil wrap the top of my flask (sanitized foil) and look at the stir plate the next day. I "forgot" about the starter wort for the next few days. I think I am ready to do the starter now... BUT - should I create a new wort or can I reuse the old wort sitting outside (approx 68F) for 4 days? I was thinking of re-boiling the wort and re-cooling before pitching the yeast. Would that work?

At a BARE MINIMUM, you'd have to re-boil that starter wort to sanitize it again.

Me, personally, if you're going to boil it again anyway, I'd mix up some new DME and create a new starter. DME is cheap and it's an extra precaution.

I'd also give the flask a good cleaning as well.

If it was boiled in the flask and the foil hasn't been removed, it's likely okay to use. But for added precaution, I'd at least bring it up to 180F to pasteurize it again.

If there is anything fuzzy growing in the surface, I'd start over.

I'd start over; it's a $1.80 worth of DME; why risk a whole batch?

Also, I don't own a stir plate, and my starters still make yeast and beer.

Back