Forgot to take OG prior to pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottsr123

Reaction score
I had a brain fart today, and forgot to take an OG sample until after I'd already pitched yeast ( like 2 minutes after). Any idea what effect, if any, this will have on the accuracy of my OG reading?

Thanks!

I did the same thing this weekend. I don't think it has any effect at all. The yeast won't add density to the wort, they just swim in it. Kind of like humans in a swimming pool.

Dry yeast, no difference if taken 2 minutes after.

Re-hydrated yeast, I guess it depends on the volume of the batch and how much water was used to rehydrate. With a 5 gal batch and 1 cup of water, I don't know but I can't see it changing too many points. I'm not picky so I would have no problem using that as a measurement.

If you chucked a huge starter in there I guess there could be a big difference.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I too, forgot to take OG last weekend. Thought of it the next day. Didn't bother then, cause that would probably be a useless number.

I did measure pre-boil OG so I'm gonna guesstimate this one! Oh well, next time :)

Back