Forgot to pitch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer23

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to homebrewing and I made a summer ale on Monday (6/30) and I completely forgot to pitch the yeast. Now its Saturday and I'm not sure if I should start over or try to save this batch by pitching the yeast when I get home tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions or have made the same mistake that could give me some advice. Thank you.

Well, the wort should be cool enough now. Pitch the yeast.

If that doesn't work, you're going to need a water moccasin, a gila monster, a komodo dragon, one angry iguana and possibly a rooster foot. Be sure the iguana is angry. The tail whipping is important.

If it doesn't smell funky, look off or have a pellicle growing in it, aerate it and pitch the yeast. Oh, and next time you brew make a checklist;)

Sent from the Commune

Pitch now and hope for the best. What kind of condition has it been sitting in for the past week?

If that doesn't work, you're going to need a water moccasin, a gila monster, a komodo dragon, one angry iguana and possibly a rooster foot. Be sure the iguana is angry. The tail whipping is important.

+10!!! to ensure the iguana is good and angry, you should raise it on punk rock, teach it the evils of politics, and constantly show it the dregs of society. it should get real jaded and start lashing out at anything in its' path. it would also be best to start off with a rock iguana since they already have a predisposition to authority figures.

The last time the subject came up I never did get a concise answer on how to get the iguana in the carboy with the tail still intact, as I told you before the only iguana I can source are rather large, could you please elaborate?

I'm pretty sure I explained that. pour your boiling wort into your carboy, put your iguana on the hole, then drop the carboy into ice water. it will create enough vacuum to suck any reptile in whole. I do not recommend Galapagos Tortoises though. their shell can chip the neck of the carboy.

The batch is lost. When I got home to check on it last night it smelled terrible. There was never any activity in the airlock and it sat in my basement between 68 and 70 all week. I was mortified when I realized I had forgotten to add it. I will absolutely make sure that I have a checklist next time. Thanks for the replies.

The batch is lost. When I got home to check on it last night it smelled terrible. There was never any activity in the airlock and it sat in my basement between 68 and 70 all week. I was mortified when I realized I had forgotten to add it. I will absolutely make sure that I have a checklist next time. Thanks for the replies.

If it makes you feel better, most homebrewers have made a boneheaded mistake or two. I once bottled a third of a batch before I realized I hadn't added the priming sugar.

As to the iguana, use you bathtub as a cool ship. Put the iguana in the tub. You can get several uses out of one iguana this way. It helps to have a parrot.

To use the iguana method correctly you MUST plan ahead. 3-4 years before your next brew purchase a baby iguana and put it in the carboy (helpful tip on the easy way to fit in carboy). Feed and water daily while shaking the piss out of the carboy to anger it up real good.
Like I said, in 3-4 years you will have successfully been able to use "the iguana" method.
Why didn't anyone tell them about the "chihuahua" for an alternate method of aeration? Chihuahua is best if extra scared

With one post, ready for the Chihuahua method was he not. Remember what happened to that other guy? Yeah. The ceiling is still stained from that.

Yeah, I remember. RIP little buddy. That is why I don't speak of the parrot. The chihuahua never saw it coming...

If you can't get and Iguana, Chihuahua and do not want to sacrifice your parrot, can you use one of these? :
images

Five lined Skink.

My local pet shop has green, blue, and red iguanas. I asked them if they had any white iguanas. Nope. So I says to them is this Azerbaijan or is this 'Murica. I want my iguanas in red, white, and blue, dammit. They didn't know what I was asking, so I'm pretty sure they are now being watched by the NSA. Plus, I have whiteout, so the second green iguana is going to work just fine. The joke is totally on them. Amateurs.

If you can't get and Iguana, Chihuahua and do not want to sacrifice your parrot, can you use one of these? :
images

Five lined Skink.

A skink?! Now you're talking like one of them pet shop guys.

images

Five lined Skink.

As long as the stink of the Skink in not pungent I think you may get away with it, compare it with the stink of the pink, as long as it's better use it and have a nosh on the pink. YMMV;)

Latest posts

Back