Forgot to cold crash my starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNoExpert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My plan this morning was to cold crash my starter so I could step it up tonight for brew day on Saturday. Well, of course I completely forgot until about ten minutes ago.

So it's still on the stir plate at home. If I step it up tomorrow night and then crash it Saturday morning to pitch Saturday night, will it be enough time to multiply and grow?

I'm pitching just over 400b into 5.5 of a 1.082 Scotch ale. I was trying to grow over 500b to save 100b for the next brew day, but I'm willing to throw that idea out the window.

If you're going to be home tonight I would take it off and crash it overnight. Boil up your next step in a clean flask and let it cool overnight also. Then tomorrow morning decant and add the new wort and put it back onto the stir plate. Then before you go to bed Friday night cold crash it (or you could even wait until 1st thing Saturday morning likely)

My plan this morning was to cold crash my starter so I could step it up tonight for brew day on Saturday. Well, of course I completely forgot until about ten minutes ago.

So it's still on the stir plate at home. If I step it up tomorrow night and then crash it Saturday morning to pitch Saturday night, will it be enough time to multiply and grow?

I'm pitching just over 400b into 5.5 of a 1.082 Scotch ale. I was trying to grow over 500b to save 100b for the next brew day, but I'm willing to throw that idea out the window.

I never bother cold crashing my starters. I pitch the whole thing in there. If you discard the liquid bit then you are loosing a bunch of your yeast. Just don't let the starter skunk out from light.

I never bother cold crashing my starters. I pitch the whole thing in there. If you discard the liquid bit then you are loosing a bunch of your yeast. Just don't let the starter skunk out from light.

IMHO, not too bad of a plan for ales, but lagers, no way. That starter has been treated to constant oxygenation and room temperatures in order to maximize yeast growth. Those same conditions will also result in increased off-flavors being produced during that growth. I try to minimize addiing those off-flavors to my wort/beer by crashing and decanting. If I didn't crash, I would still let it settle for a few hours and decant. I'd sacrifice the suspended yeast over putting those flavors in the batch.

Skunking is a hop related issue.

Latest posts

Back