Forgot to check OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
Reading some post and realized I forgot to check it. Should I bother checking SG?

Everything is looking really good. I thought about just leaving it alone

I will probably dump the hop sludge thats accumulated in the jar and thats about it

More information....What are you trying to accomplish? If you didn't check the OG it doesn't matter. The only problem you will have is not knowing how much alcohol is in your beer when it is finished fermenting.

Did you brew with extract? If so, you should be able to use something like BeerSmith to get a pretty good idea of the OG.

Yes. You want to measure the final gravity to find out when its done dropping. You can't calculate actual OG, but you do need the FG to tell you when fermentation is complete. (And yes, you can do a theoretical OG using a brew calculator).

From what I gather it says 1052. I will sample when I remove the trub in the jar.

Now second thing I am worried about is when I switch jars and open valve it will make an air bubble.

Should I pop off the bubbler before I open the valve?

I suspect you did an extract batch. If you did a kit, used all the ingredients and ended up with the correct volume, your OG will be very close to what the directions said it would be. You don't need to remove the trub. Just wait until the fermentation is done. Take a gravity reading at about day 14 and another one on day 16. If the numbers are the same you can proceed to bottle the beer.

Check this out before you bottle the beer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=94812

Good read thanks. Yes I am bottling too, I don't have a bottle tree yet s I figured I will clean them, sanatize in dish washer, then have a bucket next to me with Starsan to give them a dunk and dump just before I fill

you DON'T NEED to measure OG, SG or anything. the 1st couple of batches I did I didn't have anything but a thermometer and basic equipment. I just let it sit in my primary for at least 2 weeks if not longer (won't hurt anything) and then bottled. turned out just fine

in fast the last batch i did was sitting in the primary for over 2 months with airlock before i bottled it and it turned out just fine

How did you determine ferminting sugar amount?

If you are making a batch from an extract kit it probably specified the OG expected and you can depend on that being very close if you used the correct amount of water. If you know that you know the amount of sugars. Once you get a final gravity reading (FG) you will know what proportion of the sugars were fermentable and can calculate the amount of alcohol too.

Latest posts

Back