Forgot to Aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
Brewed a hefeeweizen this morning. 1.055 OG. I used. 1L started with Wyeast 3638 and only pitched about 1/4 trying to under pitch and stress the yeast to ahcieve a higher banana profile. But I forgot to Aerate! With the low yeast popluation and no aeration, am I in trouble? I do have a pump and stone so it'd be real easy for me to add some 02. Or should I just RDWHAHB? I'm in about 8 hours since pitch and have zero activity at 68 degrees.

Thought? Thanks!

I'm generally in the camp of wait and see...how did you transfer your wort from the BK to fermentor?

If you dumped it manually then I would say you're ok...if you siphoned or used a pump then I might hit it with some O2.

I used the spigot on my BK to transfer to fermentor. Minor splashing, but I normally get activity, even extreme minor activity within 6 hours and I'm seeing absolutely nothing right now. That's the only part of my normal process I missed.

Its a hef, it will be just fine. You pitched ~1/4, so no worries that you aren't seeing signs of ferm. I typically don't see any before 12 hrs with my hefes.

you'll most-likely be fine. I usually forget to aerate, without any problems.

you can always just shake the fermenter a bit - I do that sometimes if it's not started by the next morning

If it wasn't fermenting I would have said go ahead and aerate. But now since it is fermenting I say leave her be. It seems to be going well.

Back