Forgot to add water to my Fast Pitch starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskana

Reaction score
Seeking some advice on this topic, I bought a can of Fast Pitch (concentrated canned wort) to use for my starter and being the genius that I am, I forgot to read the fine print that said to add 16 oz of water to the 16 oz of Fast Pitch wort that was already in the flask before pitching yeast.

I've had it sitting on my Maelstrom stir plate for about 22 hours and activity seems to be slow right now (some bubbles on surface and the air lock does 'pop' every now and then).

I guess my question is, seeing that I pitched my 1968 London Ale into a more concentrated wort solution than I had planned on, do i have reason to worry? I tried to look up and see if anyone else had this problem but no luck so far.

I could add a pint of water to my flask right now, but not sure if that would do any good at this point. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I should have added that, when properly diluted with 16 oz of water, the fast pitch wort solution should be at 1.040 OG. So, assuming that the can of fast pitch is 16 oz, and they want you to add another 16 oz to get an OG of 1.040, then in it's concentrated form (which I added my ale yeast to) was actually 1.080.

Since you're using a stir plate I would remove the air lock and use a foam stopper or sanitized foil. You're not letting enough oxygen in for the yeast to reproduce.

Also it may not be too late to add 16oz of water, but I'm not sure on that.

Since you're using a stir plate I would remove the air lock and use a foam stopper or sanitized foil. You're not letting enough oxygen in for the yeast to reproduce.

Also it may not be too late to add 16oz of water, but I'm not sure on that.

EPbrew,

thanks so much for your input on this. I added 16oz of water and kept the flask on the stir plate for another day or so. I didn't see your post until this morning so I had kept the airlock on until I pitched it last night. I will post back here when the fermentation completes (if it completes, that is) with results. I'll be sure to ditch the stopper next time and go with foil instead.

Cheers!

Back