Forgot To Add Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
Long story short I brewed today, first time in a LONG time...and forgot to toss in the orange peel during the boil. Had it completely cooled before realizing it.

While I could let it go as is, I think the orange will really help out this beer. Right now it's in the fermenter, just pitched the yeast about an hour ago.

Would it be OK to boil the bitter orange peel for a few minutes in a cup or two of water, let it cool and add to the fermenter? I'm thinking yes, but would rather hear a second opinion before fully FUBARing this batch...

Steep some when you secondary for about 5 days. Taste each day till you are happy with the flavour.

It's not a disaster.

I've actually read some comments of people who suggest waiting until the majority of fermentation is complete before adding the zest, so that the aroma of the orange doesn't get blown out through the airlock with the rapid release of CO2. I followed that guidance on my last batch which - unfortunately - isn't ready to taste yet, so I can't say for sure if it worked!

I just tasted my wit that had orange peel after not quite 3 days in primary, all the orange has been blown off I think. Hard to tell with such a young beer, but yes. I think Im gonna soak some orange peel in vodka as well for a day or two now and dump it in. So I dont think you lost anything by not adding in boil. I regret doing that ;)

Did fill the closet with yummy smells for 2 whole days though! :p

I just tasted my wit that had orange peel after not quite 3 days in primary, all the orange has been blown off I think. Hard to tell with such a young beer, but yes. I think Im gonna soak some orange peel in vodka as well for a day or two now and dump it in. So I dont think you lost anything by not adding in boil. I regret doing that ;)

Did fill the closet with yummy smells for 2 whole days though! :p

This is not a good idea. When you open the fermenter to rack to secondary (if you do) or bottle, there will still be pronounced orange, if you boiled the right amount for around 10mins.

Adding more will end up giving you a citrus bomb. Don't add any orange if you followed the recipe until you have tasted it once fermentation is COMPLETE.

This isn't the first time I've done this recipe so I'm familiar with the amount of orange flavor/aroma I should be getting. I'm curious to see how boiling the peel separately will effect the outcome...considering it was boiled (almost steeped, really) in only 3 or so cups of water I'm wondering if it will be as potent as adding to a full boil.

Oh well, should still be a good beer anyways. I wasn't too concerned with making everything just right, so if it's a little off no big deal. Didn't even measure out hops, just eyeballed it...it's beer, I'll drink it either way. Judging from past batches, it's hard to screw up anyways.

Latest posts

Back