Forgot to add dry rice extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubar

Reaction score
Hello all, another "is my beer ruined question". I thought I had everything covered with my first batch then today I noticed that I didn't add my 2lb of dry rice extract to the boiling wort.

I'm brewing a summer lovin cream ale, partial mash recipe from Brooklyn homebrew. It has been 8 days now since brew day. I'm wondering what effect this will have on the final product and if it may be advisable to add the extract now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You could add the extract now. I have done it before, just not this far after primary. Should still work fine though. Just boil it for at least 10min to sanitize and get rid of the 02. Many people however would say to cut your losses and let it ride.

You could add the extract now. I have done it before, just not this far after primary. Should still work fine though. Just boil it for at least 10min to sanitize and get rid of the 02. Many people however would say to cut your losses and let it ride.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the yeast would pick it up? I don't mind giving it a go but on the other hand I would like to have something drinkable in the end considering it is my first batch. I suppose if left alone the flavor wouldn't be as intended and I'm sure a much lower abv. Beer flavored soda pop!

It's certainly going to have a lower abv. There should still be plenty of yeast in suspension, so adding the rice solids now will pick fermentation back up. How far off was your og? What are the ibu's?

I didn't take an og reading. I'll give it a go and add the extract. Will I need to let it sit longer if I do so the yeast can clean up? I was all set to bottle this weekend. I'm not sure what ibu is. If that relates to the hops I put in 1oz of hop pellets.

The Brooklyn Homebrew website says the og for that recipe should be 1.05. Since the og for kits is usually pretty accurate lets assume that that is what the og would have been with the rice solids. 2 pounds of rice solids in a five gallon batch would bring the gravity up by 16 points. So , instead of 1.05 the og was 1.034. Since its a partial mash, it probably won't ferment too dry, so lets just assume an fg of 1.012. So, It should have come out at about 5% abv, right now its probably more like 2.9% abv. Since the ibu's on a cream ale are usually pretty low it probably won't be extremely over bitter without more malt sweetness as a backbone. It will just be very, very drinkable. Really, its up to you. If you do add the rice solids now, give it about a week or so for the yeast to finish it all up, then bottle.

Interesting. The last reading I took a couple of days ago was 1.017 so assuming the kit og current abv is 3.465% which is less alcohol than a light beer. Decisions, decision.

I will ponder it some more.

Ok, I added the rice extract after losing some of it to a boil over. One noob mistake after another. In a few moe weeks I will see how it turns out assuming all goes well until then.

Thank you cbmbrewer for the advice and assistance.

Back