Forgot to add dextrose to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
Hello
Yesterday I brewed 12 gallons Pliny the Elder close.
It was my first 10+ gallon batch so it was busy.
So busy, I forgot to add the 1.5 lbs dextrose.
I pitched the yeast Saturday 5pm. It is in active fermentation right now: blowoff tubes are full.
Is it possible at this point to boil the sugar in water, cool and pitch?
Or is it too late?

Thanks for reading.

IMG_20141025_185632556.jpg

Boil and chill. Then toss it in avoiding oxygenation.

Edit...
If you add the sugar now o2 is less of an issue. Post ferment oxidation is a serious prob with ipa.

On my big iipa i often wait to add my simple sugars until after the maltose is fermented to ensure the best attenuation.

I know right? It is a better bottle so I would need like 1.5" or bigger. But I need to get one anyway because the bung still blew off. Live and learn.

Boil and chill. Then toss it in avoiding oxygenation.

Edit...
If you add the sugar now o2 is less of an issue. Post ferment oxidation is a serious prob with ipa.

On my big iipa i often wait to add my simple sugars until after the maltose is fermented to ensure the best attenuation.

+1

You're probably past this point but I'd wait until you are past high krausen. Adding simple sugars to the fermenter is my normal practice for high gravity beers.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know right? It is a better bottle so I would need like 1.5" or bigger. But I need to get one anyway because the bung still blew off. Live and learn.

How hard would it be to drill a one inch hole in a #10 stopper? I'm asking not sugeesting. I'm guessing you would have to go pretty slow or the rubber would scorch and I don't know how clean/ragged the hole would be.

Maybe someone who tried this can report on their success or lack thereof?

That is my plan - I have mega blowoff going on right now, after that subsides I will add the sugar.

2 more questions:
1 - how much water should I boil with 1.5 lbs Dextrose?
2 - How can I best add to reduce my chances of oxygenation?

You only need enough water to make a pourable syrup. Also you don't need to boil it hard. Bringing it to a strong simmer cover and let it cool is sufficient.

Bringing the water to temp will drive off the O2. Gently pouring it in the fermenter will not introduce significant O2.

It's common to add simple sugars after the fermentation starts- so don't worry about it! It's actually better for the yeast, especially in higher gravity beers.

I'd wait a little bit so you don't get a volcano but add it in the next day or so. Dissolve in boiling water, boil a minute or so, cool, and add. No problems at all!

How hard would it be to drill a one inch hole in a #10 stopper? I'm asking not sugeesting. I'm guessing you would have to go pretty slow or the rubber would scorch and I don't know how clean/ragged the hole would be.

Maybe someone who tried this can report on their success or lack thereof?

You need a sharp drill bit at high rpm , drive it in slow. It tends to rip out the rubber making it quite rough and worries me sanitation wise. But I've used a few stoppers that I've drilled and have never had an issue with infection. It's important that not only the tip of the drill bit be sharp but the sides as well. I find helpful to insert it into something round to hold the shape while it is being drilled

I wonder if freezing the stopper first would help any? I think I remember someone telling me about freezing hockey pucks before drilling them (forget why they were doing it).

I use about a 12"piece of 1" conduit to cut hole in my stopper. Place stopper on thick piece of wood, like a 2x4 or similar. Use the conduit like a cookie cutter with a hammer and cut inside of stopper out

Strange on how different in color that beer looks, they are the same beer.
Wyeast 1056 on left, Nottingham on right.

Is that due to the yeast activity (more "stuff" in suspension in the Notty brew)? If the grain bill is the same shouldn't the beers be about the same color after fermentation is complete and they've cleared?

I've never done a side by side where I split the wort and pitched different yeasts. Interesting stuff.

Back