forgot the crystal in a RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownrice

Reaction score
During the boil yesterday I realized that I forgot to add Special B and cara120 (1.5lb total) to the grain bill.

Should I run out to the homebrew store, buy the grain, come home and steep it, bring to a boil and cool and add to the actively-fermenting primary?

Or just live and let live?

Recipe: big ol stout
Brewer: cricket
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.116 SG
Estimated Color: 40.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.9 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.5 %
12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.2 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.1 %
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 80.5 IBUs
1.0 entire yeast cake SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge

It wont be quite as complex but should still be a good beer....Id let it be...I have never done what your suggesting and it might backfire?? As I would think you'd have to boil again too.

EDIT : I see where you were thinking of boiling separately....well that might work, might not meld all togather though either...sort of risky IMP..but not sure how it will do....Id still let it ride if it were me.

I personally like the idea. I think their contribution will be missed and I think you offer a reasonable solution. I would take it a step further to ensure that the final boiled (new) wort's gravity matched that of the original wort by using some DME to get it there. You may even consider re-oxygenating today (18-24 hours post-pitch) for a beer with such high gravity.

Back