Forgot the airlock on my fermzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinjasp

Reaction score
Newbie brewer and I just realized at day 5 into fermenting that I did not install an airlock just two gas posts.
Making a cider with unsweetened apple juice and safale 4 yeast. The yeast still seems to be actively bubbling. Should I release the pressure and attach an airlock? Does it need to ferment any longer? Or is it spoiled?

Release the pressure! The Fernzilla has a 35 psi limit. Do you have the optional Spunding Valve? I f not, I would replace the gas in post with the airlock once all pressure is out.

Thanks Oakbarn yes I have a spunding . I will release the pressure and attach it. Does this affect the fermentation time in any way? Usually I give it 7 days then add my fruit and keg on day 10

I have never done pressure fermentation but there are lots of threads about it. I plan to do so, but have not yet done one. Also never a cider.

Release the pressure! The Fernzilla has a 35 psi limit. Do you have the optional Spunding Valve? I f not, I would replace the gas in post with the airlock once all pressure is out.

Lol i accidentally forgot my spunding valve once and it went to 40. When i released it. OMG that thing went nuts. Blow tie... such a mess.... the beer turned out really well. But recreating it would be funny. It was a stronger side ipa if i remember.

this and stat! The good news is that even though the labels says 35 psi, it will take at least 60. Don’t ask me how I know:ban:

this is what I have jury rigged for when I am not using a spunding valve…
E6735075-764C-4E3E-8C1E-99CE66CD614F.jpeg

Just curious why you use an airlock over a blowout tube?
It takes up less space and I have no worry of a blowout. I do a blowout tube when I need to, but my preference is an airlock as it requires no additional space and I don’t have to worry about it getting knocked over.

why not just unscrew the prv and put the airlock in there? Takes up even less space.
It's a perfect fit, then when finished on airlock, reverse and go to pressure.
Not going to need a blowoff tube with that much headspace.

Back