Forgot priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
I capped seventeen, twelve ounce bottles of a RIS and realized I forgot the priming sugar.

I have corn sugar, table sugar, and cane sugar. I do not want to pour them back in a bottling bucket.

What is the best sugar to use, how would you add it, and how much per bottle?

This is a 11% ABV if it matters.

How many volumes CO2 do you want?

What's the highest temperature it reached since the end of fermentation?

2 grams of dextrose (corn sugar) per bottle should bring them to ~2.2 volumes...

Cheers!

[edit] 2.3 grams of sucrose is correct as well as it's ~10% less "effective" as dextrose.

I use Domino Dots sugar cubes all the time in 11 and 12 ounce bottles. They are 2.3 grams. But I don't know how many volumes that gives. For larger bottles, I weight out 7 grams of sugar per liter.

Table sugar carbonates a little stronger than dextrose, so it takes less. 10% sounds about right, from memory.

Thanks for the input. I've never used anything besides corn sugar but am curious...how would honey, molasses, or brown sugar affect the beer taste/body?

We buy honey in bulk from a local producer and we are due to pick some up this weekend. I'm getting extra to brew with so why not try it for priming?

I'm thinking since it's only 17 bottles (the rest is in a keg on oak cubes that soaked in bourbon for some time) why not experiment with different sugars?

If you have a large (5 or 10 ml) syringe, the easiest would be to measure out your sugar for the whole batch, boil in a fixed volume of water, then divide the volume by the number of bottles and dose each one.

ong is leading to a point- if you add dry sugar directly to a bottle filled with beer.... watch out for the gushers due to the nucleation points that you are adding. Much better to dissolve it in a known volume of water, then add a measured amount of liquid to each bottle. You can do the math, I know you can!

And as far as other sugars go, use a priming calculator to figure out the amount per bottle. Also keep in mind that liquid sugars such as honey, maple syrup, agave, etc. have variable amounts of sugar per batch so your amount of carbonation may vary.

Back