Forced carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMClark2210

Reaction score
I keep my beer at room temperature till I decide to bottle. The pressure I keep it at is 30psi. Now for the question. Do i keep it at this pressure or do I lower it once I achieve the carbonation I want? Thanks for the help everyone

Bobby_M said:
30psi at room temp ends up somewhere around 2.7 volumes of Co2. It's a little high for some styles, but not out of control either. Leave it there or 27ish psi.

Yeah it's a German wheat so from what I ready they are suppose to be around 3.0. Thanks that's what I needed to know

Remember that if you try to dispense warm beer at 2.7-3.0 volumes to bottle it, it'll foam like a SOB. You probably can't bottle it when it's that warm.

Yooper said:
Remember that if you try to dispense warm beer at 2.7-3.0 volumes to bottle it, it'll foam like a SOB. You probably can't bottle it when it's that warm.

Yeah I found that out with the blonde ale a we ago. I had to dispense at like 2 psi lol

I actually have to do the same thing as I have no room for an extra fridge/kegerator. I just make sure the bottles are as cold as I can get them (I use water that I keep in my fridge over night to mix my starsan) and use BierMuncher's BMBF and dispense at about 2-3psi. After about 2 days in the fridge I can't tell the difference in carbonation from the brews I actually just bottle with priming sugar.

YMMV

-deicide

Deicide said:
I actually have to do the same thing as I have no room for an extra fridge/kegerator. I just make sure the bottles are as cold as I can get them (I use water that I keep in my fridge over night to mix my starsan) and use BierMuncher's BMBF and dispense at about 2-3psi. After about 2 days in the fridge I can't tell the difference in carbonation from the brews I actually just bottle with priming sugar.

YMMV

-deicide

U bottled force carbonated beer with bottling sugar too?

U bottled force carbonated beer with bottling sugar too?

Nope, I make some smaller batches (3-3.5gals.) that I bottle with priming sugar. I have a bunch of 2gal fermentors that I just can't stand sitting around empty*.
Bottling with the BMBF at a low pressure into cold bottles with the keg gives me just about the same results as the ones I bottle with a bottling bucket and priming sugar.

*After all empty fermentors take up as much space as full ones. heh :mug:

-deicide

Deicide said:
Nope, I make some smaller batches (3-3.5gals.) that I bottle with priming sugar. I have a bunch of 2gal fermentors that I just can't stand sitting around empty*.
Bottling with the BMBF at a low pressure into cold bottles with the keg gives me just about the same results as the ones I bottle with a bottling bucket and priming sugar.

*After all empty fermentors take up as much space as full ones. heh :mug:

-deicide

Lol I get what ur saying now lol and I know what u mean I have a 6.5, two 5, a 3 and a 1 gallon lol. All are empty at the moment but I also have almost 4 cases of beer and a 5 gallon keg lol. First time doing a lager so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Back