Force Carbonation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeybrau

Reaction score
I'm looking to force carb my beer and bottle it. I've already read a great thread about how to accomplish the bottling portion of the process.

what I am wondering is if someone can point me to steps on the force carbonation process. specifically, my concern is what temp does the beer need to be at to carbonate? I don't have refrigeration and my basement stays about 60 degrees year round. athanks

If the beer is sitting at 60 degrees, set your regulator to 20 psi for two weeks, then bleed off the pressure to around 5 psi and bottle. Google "beer carbonation chart" for a reference table to answer these carbonation/psi/temperature questions. BTW, if you have kegs you really should invest the tiny bit of money into putting a cheapo used fridge in that basement...

Provided you can get the pressure high enough, you can carbonate at any stable temperature. Check out a carb chart or calculator (http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html).

I've never tried bottling from a keg, but I've seen many others post that it's very difficult to do at room temperature. There's going to be a lot of foaming, most of your carbonation will be lost in the transfer.

some good news, a friend has a fridge he is giving me because he is remodeling. so looks like I can cool the keg down after all. I will probably look to covert the fridge to a kegerator provided it doesn't kill my electric bill.

Back