Force carbing while enjoying a commercial keg..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatguyLex

Reaction score
Hey all --

I have a new dual-tap kegerator set up (with a t-split in the CO2 line) and want to get some beer flowing. My Irish Ale is about done with the secondary, after that I plan to force carb for about 3 days (30psi @ 35 degrees).

My question is, since I'd like to get a commercial keg going on the other line, and since I have that t-split in there, could I do something like this: connect the commercial keg at 11psi to top up the pressure.. then unhook that and connect the homebrew at 30psi until the commercial doesn't have any more pressure.. then swap back over to the commercial at 11psi to give it enough push for another couple pours...? So switching back and forth as necessary, with preference given to the homebrew until it's carb'ed and happy.

Theoretically, it seems to make sense, if both kegs are kept in the fridge at 35 degrees, but has anyone tried this?

Thanks! -- michael~

My apologies.. I was searching with the wrong terms and got impatient.. changed things up and found out that, yes, this is totally possible..

either option #1: hook up both kegs to 9-11psi at serving temp and enjoy the commercial for a week or so while the homebrew carbs; or option #2, keep switching the keg/pressures for a day or two until the homebrew is carb'd, then attach both to serving pressure.

Yay beer!

Back