Force carbing partially carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I am supposed to be tapping a keg of dipa saturday for a housewarming party, and just noticed my c02 tank kicked after work. I started carbonating it last Monday. The beer has been sitting on c02 for at least a week, the past couple of days I didn't check the tank so I am not sure when it kicked. I will have to get a new tank tomorrow. Last time I checked the beer had carbonation in it. If it's not completely carbed up, is there any type of force carbing method I can use to finish it off that's not risky?

They are all risky 'cept the "set and forget" method, but since you need it on Sat, you could put on a fresh tank, check for leaks, and bump your pressure up to 'bout 20 PSI, and set your alarm clock to check it in about 8 hours or so, to check your progress.
You could chance a higher pressure, but as you stated "it had carbonation in it", but how much is it, and how much do you want?

If you like it after 8-10-12 hours or whatever, turn off the gas, burp the keg, and set it at serving pressure or whatever pressure you had initially chose, and don't mess with it until Breakfast on Saturday morning.

Happy Housewarming, and good luck!:mug:

Alternatively, you could set the regulator to your regular serving pressure, and shake the hell out of the keg.

You won't risk over-carbing this way; however, you will kick up all the sediment that has settled out.

How long to shake for? And wouldn't some settle out in 24 hours?

Until you can pour a sample that seems adequately carbonated. Sorry, this is not an exact science. At least you can't overdo it.

Yes, some would start settling back out as soon as you stopped moving it. How much? Who's to say. Without knowing how much sediment you let get into the keg in the first place, it's difficult to say how much cloudy it will be or long it will take to clear back out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well just tested the keg and it's perfectly carbed! Did not have to mess with it at all, crisis averted! Thanks for the suggestions though, I will keep them in mind if this ever happens again.

Back