Force carbing and chill haze!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
Is there any connection between force carbing and chill haze!?
The reason for asking, is, after cold crashing and clearing with gelatin, I end up with a crystal clear beer, at approx 2-4C. Just when I think I've got the chill haze beat, I force carb the beer at 30psi for 3min., wait a day, and the beer is no longer cyrstal clear!?
I know that the haze doesn't effect the taste, but I'd like to have a clear beer.

You sure that your dip tube isn't too long. I don't actually keg, but I know I've read a few different posts about pulling yeast off the bottom of the keg. Also, I've read some posts that mention the first few glasses always being kind of cloudy. These were the first things that came to mind.

Chill haze is caused by a combination of tannins and proteins.

The haze components will settle out, given time. When you force carbed, did you shake the keg? Moving the keg will re-suspend the haze. Give it a week or two and it should clear up.

I don't think adding CO2 has any effect on chill haze, one way or another.

Back