Force carb question effecting taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
this is my third neipa I've kegged and it's a rebrew so I know what the other version tasted like a month ago. So I pressure transfer from fermenter to keg with co2 then I'll connect gas to keg and put gas to 30psi and roll for 5 min. Disconnect and place the keg in the keggerator I do not purge or connect to anything I just put it in there to sit. Today it sat for about 6 hrs I bled off the keg and connected to gas and tap line with my co2 set for 8psi my preferred serving pressure. First glass was half full of foam, second a little better but I'm also getting this very bitter almost acidic taste in the back of my tongue that is really taking a the flavor out of this beer now, is this carbonic acid?? And the nose is very muted which has never happens in my other kegged beers. Did I overcarb or tap it to early. If it sits will this settle out I hope.

May have overcarbed it but very bitter , acidic taste and muted nose to me could be a possible infection. When you say acidic do you mean metallic? Or acidic like sour ?

May have overcarbed it but very bitter , acidic taste and muted nose to me could be a possible infection. When you say acidic do you mean metallic? Or acidic like sour ?

pretty sure it was overcarbed. It got better when I bled the keg then lowered the serving pressure, much smoother and the nose came back. I’m hoping after the keg equalized it’ll help condition it.

Sounds like you should let it sit cold in the keg for a few days... sounds like you're tasting hop debris...
Also water profile changes can do that to a NEIPA.
Do you use RO?

Back