Force Carb or Low and Slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
I have a high ABV milk stout, aiming for 2.1 vols carbonation. The beer needs time, so I am not in a rush. should I:

Force carb at 30 PSI, roll it around on the floor, decrease to 8 PSI and put it in the fridge/room temp?

BrewersFriend and BeerSmith say at 55 degrees, 14.9 PSI to carb. I could just set it and forget it for a week or two.

Which would be the best option?

Curious question. I'm going to say "No". It's the least likely method to "change" the beer.

"Burst carbing" - using higher pressure than the charts/tables/calculators provide for pressure vs temperature to hit a specific volume of CO2 at equilibrium - runs the risk of over-carbing which can result in a nasty carbonic bite (not to mention dispensing issues until the keg is tamed).

Patience will be rewarded. Build your pipeline around a 2 week carbonation period and you'll not be without beer :)

Cheers!

Curious question. I'm going to say "No". It's the least likely method to "change" the beer.

"Burst carbing" - using higher pressure than the charts/tables/calculators provide for pressure vs temperature to hit a specific volume of CO2 at equilibrium - runs the risk of over-carbing which can result in a nasty carbonic bite (not to mention dispensing issues until the keg is tamed).

Patience will be rewarded. Build your pipeline around a 2 week carbonation period and you'll not be without beer :)

Cheers!

I agree with trippr and TAN. Violence is never good for beer. If you burst carb and overshoot, you have to scrub your beer of excess CO2 and along with that scrub goes volatiles you spent time trying to get into the beer. Once you start carbing, you want the flow going one way - into your mouth. Set it and forget would be my thought as well.

Of course, I think I succeeded about 1% of the time, last time I was doing this. OTherwise, it was....oh, so bloody....violence in cramming the CO2 into that precious beer, as I wanted the miracle of a finished pint NOW, lol.

Back