Force Carb 3rd keg with only 2 lines in use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnr1005

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I don't know much about kegs so I am going to ask it anyway.

I have a two keg system with a split valve and two CO2 lines. Both are hooked up to my 2 beers in the fridge. We kegged a 3rd beer on Sunday and I want to start force carbing that keg so it is ready when one of ours kicks. Issue is that both CO2 lines are hooked up and in the fridge and no room for a third keg in the fridge.

Can I remove a line from one of the beers on tap. (After turning off the CO2 of course)... hook it up to the 3rd keg and put it on 30 PSI...when it hits, remove and move back to fridge? I know I would have to do this a bit as the CO2 will get absorbed and need to be added to the one I am force carbing. I just want to make sure I don't have to keep constant pressure on it to force carb... And for my beer on tap, removing a line should not make it loose pressure, right? (I am assuming the valve is one way for the gas...)

You'll want to give that warm keg a shot of about 50psi (or wherever that regulator lets you, even 60psi is good). Assuming your keg is filled with exactly 5 gallons, the pressure it will eventually settle to once absorbed is about 5 psi. That's only about a quarter carbonated for a warm keg. You'll get a lot closer if you rock that keg over your knee for 3-5 minutes while you have 50psi applied. Afterwards, set the keg aside and wait until you can get it back in the fridge. It should be pretty close.

I know. Normally I'm very burst-carb averse. With a warm keg and with some level of restraint, I don't feel that the initial boost process is all that risky for overcarb. Afterall, 50psi is only double the chart pressure for room temp beer "equilibrium pressure" of 25psi or so. In effect, it's not as risky as doing it with cold beer at 30psi.

I personally stick with my first suggestion... apply one shot of 60psi and disconnect. I may go back a day or two later and blast it again at 60psi. That gets you more than half way there.

Back