Forbidden fruit yeast and orange peel in fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had this experience fermenting with Forbidden Fruit yeast.

Friday, I brewed up an Ale with 2 oz of orange peel, 2 oz coriander and some chamomile. The fermentation took off like gangbusters, so I rigged a blow off tube. Today, I replaced the blow off tube and replaced it with an airlock.

I was cleaning the blow off tube and it reeked like vomit. I am wondering if this is because of the amount of orange peel that I used that could be contributing to this smell? I am not smelling the vomit smell in the fermentor, just the lovely smell of a fermenting beer with an orange smell. It had me worried that something may be wrong with the fermentation until I did take a whiff in the fermentor.

Ha, I just planned Wit recipe using this yeast since my lhbs was out of the witbier variety. I looked around for some threads regarding this yeast and also found the odd one regarding "off smells", but during fermentation (especially wheat beers) that doesn't really bother me.

Did you clean the blow off tube beforehand? Could be from a previous batch or maybe just from the yeast smells mixing with the smell of the tube's material.

Just to update, this yeast smelled ungodly bad during fermentation, farts/rotten eggs starting day two, receding around day 4 to be replaced by a citrusy/orangy aroma, not in a pleasant way, though.

However, the final result is really great. After two days at 20C I just let her ride up to about 24C and just kegged it after 7 days in primary. Honestly, it tasted so good coming out that I could probably just chill, carb and drink it now, but i'm lazy and slow carbing, plus the extra two weeks will probably round it out a bit.

Tastewise it really brings out the coriander, with a mild fruity aroma. I could probably up the orange next time. Either way, I like this yeast.

Back