For the first time ever, I just may have to dump a cider... bummed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
Don't have a picture or video yet so you'll have to visualize this for yourself.. I took a gallon of Eckert's supposedly "organic" apple cider and added a 1/2lbs of dextrose to it, some yeast chow, pectic enzyme, and a packet of montrachet yeast, all was combined and mixed well before I pitched Friday afternoon. As of Sunday, no action whatsoever, there is a thin ring around the top of the jug at the liquid line that looks a little bit like dark orange krausen but again, no action whatsoever.

While transferring the cider downstairs to my new brew room, I held it up to the light to see if I could get a glimpse of something , boy did I... Now I don't know if this is from infection (I highly doubt it, I have never had one at least that I know of) or if it's because this cider is picked, smashed, created, and pasteurized on site at Eckert's Farm, but that krausen ring would sink about and inch, then like a bungee cord it would stretch down and then lift back up to the top of the jug like it was stuck to the sides at the liquid line, this started once I moved the jug.

It has since stopped but still, how odd!! Slightly hypnotic, I gazed at it for a solid minute haha.. No gravity change as of Sunday, I re-pitched another 1/2 packet of yeast to see if maybe I just had a bad packet, as of this morning I still have no action at all. I see nothing going on in the jug, no CO2 bubbles, no movement.. I'm giving it to Wednesday then it's going down the drain.

Couple of questions -

Is this typical fermentation when pitching into a thick cider and not juice?

Does cider fermenting typically have krausen or does it ferment like standard apfelwein, bubbles and that's about all?

A "kamikaze bungee krausen" ring around the jug where the liquid tops off, wth???

Even though the ingredients only listed pressed apples and asorbic acid, does it sound like somebody slipped a preservative in and didn't mention it? Perhaps this is killing my yeast? I do have a layer on the bottom of the jug about 3/4 an inch thick, guessing this is the dextrose and yeast just sitting around...

This was an experiment so not really to concerned about having to dump it, I would just like to find a reason why so I can justify wasting what was to be delicious booze for the Christmas season... :cross:

Back