For the Community, From the Community LIF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgetfu

Reaction score
SuperO_zpsa9c6da40.jpg

For the Community, From the Community LIF

Hey everyone - First, I want to thank you all again for your participation in our Lambics Against Leukemia LIF. If you didn't see the video from last time, you should watch it...so cute!!! (linked at the bottom of this message). Owen was diagnosed over the holidays with B Cell All Leukemia.

Before I give away more beer, I'd like to give everyone an update. I'm not sure that I ever mentioned it last round, but Matt (Owen's dad - beer forum handle: Knownfactor) is the beer manager at FreshCraft in Denver. Casey is a student. They don't have local family support in Denver. This has been tougher on them than you can possibly imagine. Owen's had his good days and bad, with a few rough weeks lately (he's in the hospital at the moment). If you'd like to keep up on his status, I recommend reading the "Updates" tab on the fundraising page (http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/o-s-big-fight-/117602).

It's time for another beer giveaway! Let's raise some money and do what we can. Consider buying one less bomber a week and instead buy a raffle ticket. It made a huge difference last round and it can this time as well.

During the last round, we received many offers from people in the community who wanted to donate beer. This round, we are raffling off their beer. This is a completely community sponsored round, which we really appreciate! There will be 10 boxes in total. I am still collecting the details on the boxes, but so far, I know that we'll be raffling:

1 - One ea - 375 and 750ml handmade wooden lambic baskets filled with lambic and proper glassware
2 - A 50/50 Eclipse box
3 - A Crooked Stave box
4 - A Midwest Locals box
5 - A Lambic box
6 - An upper Midwest Locals box
7 - A box of Northern California Goodies
8 - A box from Owen's Dad (including a Super-Owen T-shirt)
9 - A Box from some Colorado Beer Geeks (details TBD)
10- A Box from some Indiana Beer Geeks (details TBD)

I will post details about the boxes as I learn more. Some of those boxes will be customized by the donor depending on where the winner lives and what's not accessible to them. Thanks to Talkbeer for agreeing to update this original post with box details as they come in.

It's the same process as last time. Make a donation (http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/o-s-big-fight-/117602). Do not make the donation anonymous. I need to be able to see it. Then send an email to 4owen <atsign> young dot us. If you have any questions about that email address, send me a private message. For every $10 you donate, you will receive a raffle entry. The deadline is 11:59pm on April 15 (because this cause deserves your money more than the IRS does). This time around, we can't do international raffle tickets because I can't ask the box donors to cover the overseas shipping costs. Overseas donations are still welcome of course.

We can't thank everyone enough for buying raffle tickets last time around and for the boxes of beer that were offered as well. If you want to offer a box this time around, once again, send me a message. I won't include it in this LIF, but I will take you up on it in the future. This is a marathon.

Thanks!
- The Denver Beer Community

The video of Owen picking the previous winners:

Last edited:
I'll cover shipping for a second overseas box if there is more than one international winner.
Thanks much!

We are in great shape for International shipping now with 3 people helping. I'd be shocked if we needed all 3, but it's been very cool how much help we've been offered (of course, at the moment 2/3 of the raffle tickets purchased are from international people so we'd have a lot to send over). ;-)

Now let's get some raffle donations!!

Thanks everyone!

I'm starting to get some of the box details back from the amazing donors who offered to provide these beers. Good luck everyone. You know you want to win these while helping O recover.

Box 4:
Box 4 will be a midwest box including brewers such as these (it’ll be customized based on the winner’s wants and what’s available to them):
3 Floyds
Pipeworks
New Glarus
Half Acre
Revolution

Box 5:
PG4YTwZ.jpg

Trady made me aware via his Twitter! Have to keep the love going!
Maybe Gene can share on twitter as well, and it would be good if other users here could share on their various social media platforms. Just today I've seen the donations tally rise a bit, and every dollar counts!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OWEN! (i stretched the truth when i called him a 3 year old in earlier posts. Today's actually Owen's 3rd birthday)

Here is Box #8 from Owen's father, Matt. Good luck to everyone and thank you for your continued support.

66dtfZH.jpg

Donation sent, future box for donation coming as well.

After seeing this today, I am speechless. Yesterday, I spent the entire day (and most of my weekend) celebrating my daughter Zoe’s 3rd birthday. She couldn’t have been happier and neither could I. As a parent, you spend a lot of your soul raising your children and trying to give them the best chance to succeed. At the beginning, all you hope for is their health. After a couple of years, you start to make plans for their future and envision them going to college, playing sports, and dancing at their wedding. A parent never "plans" for a road bump like this.

Finding out that Owen and my daughter share the same birthday, March 30th, 2011, I cannot imagine how I would handle this same challenge. Donating is a small step, happily taken.

Consider this a bump, for Owen. I look forward to hearing about his recovery and seeing pictures of him on his future birthdays. March 30th was already important in my life, now more so.

Donation sent, future box for donation coming as well.

After seeing this today, I am speechless. Yesterday, I spent the entire day (and most of my weekend) celebrating my daughter Zoe’s 3rd birthday. She couldn’t have been happier and neither could I. As a parent, you spend a lot of your soul raising your children and trying to give them the best chance to succeed. At the beginning, all you hope for is their health. After a couple of years, you start to make plans for their future and envision them going to college, playing sports, and dancing at their wedding. A parent never "plans" for a road bump like this.

Finding out that Owen and my daughter share the same birthday, March 30th, 2011, I cannot imagine how I would handle this same challenge. Donating is a small step, happily taken.

Consider this a bump, for Owen. I look forward to hearing about his recovery and seeing pictures of him on his future birthdays. March 30th was already important in my life, now more so.
Wow. Speechless.

Someone please tag me in this (in about an hour or two) or shoot me reminder to donate. I'm dead tired and browsing on my phone.

Back